Rebuilding Together of the Triangle (RTT) provides critical repairs, modifications and resource-conserving upgrades to low-income homeowners in a four-county region of central North Carolina. By mobilizing donated funds, in-kind supply contributions, and volunteer labor, we restore safe, healthy and efficient living environments for the elderly, those with disabilities, U.S. military veterans, and families with children. Our area presents diverse service opportunities, from serving the urban areas in Raleigh to assisting residents in rural parts of western Chatham County.
Summary of Position
The Assistant Carpenter will join an active, talented and compassionate team working to preserve safe, healthy and efficient homes for low-income Triangle homeowners. A successful applicant will work directly with Field Operations Managers, Staff Carpenters, homeowners, volunteers and community partners to complete critical home repairs in the community. He/she will have the opportunity to complete work critical to providing RTT’s clients with safe, healthy homes. The Assistant Carpenter can expect to serve in a fast-paced, flexible and rewarding environment, where personal and professional growth is prioritized. The Assistant Carpenter reports to the Construction Director, and will work in partnership with the Field Operations Manager(s).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Perform hands-on home repairs, both individually and as part of a team
● Common repairs include framing, subfloor, flooring, interior and exterior trim, decks, ramps, gutters, doors, windows, landscaping and punch work
● Procure building materials for projects
● Provide task leadership as assigned on volunteer project days
Experience, Skills, and Abilities Required
● High school degree or equivalent desired
● 1 year of experience with carpentry, roofing, gutters, siding, flooring, and other residential construction tasks
● Excellent oral communication skills
● Ability to effectively and professionally represent the organization in the community and with clients, volunteers, community partners and other staff members.
● Ability to complete work while being supervised remotely
● Ability to follow instructions accurately and meet essential deadlines
● General understanding of building science, with capacity and interest to learn
Description of Physical Demands
The Staff Carpenter must be able to lift, push, pull and carry 100 pounds as part of their regular duties. Candidates must also be capable of spending full workdays on a project site.
The Staff Carpenter must have a valid Driver’s License, and have a driving record acceptable to RTT’s insurance company. Frequent travel throughout the four-county service area should be expected. Candidates should also have their own hand tools and basic power tools.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an hourly position, and may be part or full-time depending on the desire of applicant and needs of organization. Compensation will be negotiated commensurate with experience; starting hourly range for this position is likely to be between $14 and $16 per hour. RTT provides employer-sponsored health, life, disability, dental and vision insurance to all full-time employees. Full workman’s compensation is provided. RTT will endeavor to provide a vehicle for work related travel; however, if a vehicle is unavailable, mileage driven with a personal vehicle will be reimbursed at the IRS-published rate.
Please send resume and list of three professional references to Rebuilding Together of the Triangle at 200 Trans Air Dr, Suite 200, Morrisville, NC 27560 or email: email@example.com with ‘Assistant Carpenter Position’ in the subject line.
Rebuilding Together of the Triangle is an equal opportunity employer. RTT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.